How would I translate this?

0 votes
I found this passage on the BBC website but I had a difficult time translating the sentence into English. I understand the general meaning of the sentence but I don't fully understand its grammar: Tradicionalmente, los indígenas de Colombia se han opuesto a que el gobierno, las guerrillas y los paramilitares los involucren en el conflicto armado que ha azotado a ese país por décadas. (I've bolded the part that I'm really confused with) This is translation correct? Traditionally, the indigenous peoples of Columbia have been opposed to the government, the guerrillas and the paramilitary have been involved in an armed conflict that has whipped that country for decades. Why is it "se han opuesto a que el gobierno" and not "se han opuesto al gobierno"? Also, why is the second part of the sentence separated by a comma and not a period? It seems to me that it could stand alone on its one as a separate, complete sentence.
asked Apr 11, 2009 in Englanti by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Hi ht, since I red your question I have been thinking how to explain it, but for me it´s no easy in English, but i suppose you understand Spanish, so i try to do it. 1. Why is it "se han opuesto a que el gobierno" and not "se han opuesto al gobierno"? Las dos frases que escribes entre comillas son correctas gramaticalmente; pero su sentido es diferente. "se han opuesto a que el gobierno" -- aqui se refieren que se oponen a una idea del gobierno, a algo especifico que va a hacer el gobierno, en este caso "a que los involucren en el conflicto armado" "se han opuesto al gobierno" aqui el sentido es que los indigenas se oponen al gobierno en general, a todo el gobierno. 2. why is the second part of the sentence separated by a comma and not a period? Está separada por coma porque está hablando de tres grupos diferentes Gobierno, guerrillas, paramilitares. Es una regla gramatical, cuando vas a nombrar diferentes elementos en una misma frase debes separarlos con comas por ejemplo: las frutas que se cultivan en Colombia son plátano, piña, papaya, maracuyá y otras mas. 3. I think the translation will be ...Traditionally, the indigenous peoples of Colombia have been opposed to the government, the guerrillas and the paramilitary groups not to be involved in an armed conflict that has whipped that country for decades. I hope, I have been clear and helpfull
answered Apr 15, 2009 by loghika